Florida's Work Search Requirement To Be Reinstated Later This Month


Floridians getting unemployment benefits will likely have to go begin submitting weekly "work search" updates once again.

Gov. DeSantis says he expects to reinstate the requirement late this month. An executive order that waives the work-search ends May 29.

The governor is concerned about businesses that say they can't find new employees, because many of those who are unemployed are accepting both state and federal benefits.

Desantis says the requirement that jobseekers reach out to five potential employers per week and list them with the state was waived at this time last year.

“I think now we're in just a different situation, you have a surplus of jobs, particularly in restaurant, lodging, hospitality, that people want to hire,” DeSantis said. “I mean, you see the signs all over the place. Look, that's a good problem to have. But we also just want to make sure, like, look, if you're really unemployed, can't get a job, that's one thing. But making sure that you're doing your due diligence to look for work, and making sure those incentives align, better.”

Florida's unemployment rate was 4.7 percent in march, and we'll find out the April jobs number later this month. Just over 18,000 Floridians filed for first time jobless benefits last week. That was a decline of almost 10,000 from the week before.

Photo: Getty Images